Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"I love her."

While driving to Leah’s appointment at the Down syndrome clinic today, I saw a few protesters outside of a Planned Parenthood. One held a sign proudly saying,”Abortion stops the beat of a heart.” Another sign read, “Abortion kills babies.”

As I kept driving I realized that some mothers might just be going in that building to “get rid of” a baby with a disability, most-likely even Down syndrome.

How sad.

I was talking about Leah on the phone this morning with Steven and he said, “I love her.”

He says this all the time. We all “love her.”

But there was something different about this “I love her.”

It was pure.

It was sensitive.

It was beautiful.

It was true.

It was the type of statement that melts your heart.

Leah does that to us. She makes us all want to be better then we were before. I don’t know why.

Is it her spirit?

Is it her disability?

Is it us reacting to her disability?

Who knows?

How many daddies will never know this feeling because their baby wasn’t good enough?

How many mamas will regret their “choice” every day because they were so selfish?

No one wants to have a child with a disability; none of us want to see our children suffer but…

I love what Down syndrome has done for me and my family. I am grateful for Leah, every second of every day, disability included.

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with you 100%! Love having my sweet Justin in my life along with all of the other "angels" I've come in contact with because of him!

    ReplyDelete