Saturday, May 1, 2010

That was EARLY for a Saturday!

Today was our first ever Down syndrome conference.

I learned some pretty interesting things.

Don’t ever put money in your child’s name; use a trust.

Be very prepared for your child’s IEP meeting because most of the time their recommendations do NOT fall in line with your desires for your child.

Keep lists and records.

And other stuff, but those are what stick out in my head.

The keynote speaker was Carrie Bergeron-Desai. She is 33 and has Down syndrome. She was very articulate and inspiring. I was extremely impressed with how well she answered questions. She was quick on her feet and very knowledgeable.

She has her learner’s permit but has chosen not to get her license. She doesn’t like to drive in the busy traffic of Rome, NY so she just drives with her dad.

She is married but in January her husband’s parents separated them.

That broke my heart.

I reconnected with some parents I have met briefly before and met some in person who I only knew through Facebook.

I made a few new friendships and was able to meet two amazing grandparents who I have heard so much about.

All in all it was a good day, even if it started at 6am!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time! Thanks for those tips too!

    ReplyDelete