Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Celestial Soul

We belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

You know the one, with all of those warm and fuzzy commercials.

We’re Mormon.

We converted to the church about exactly 6 years ago.

I grew up Catholic and Steven grew up with not much religion.

So when you are Mormon, there are certain things you kinda take for granted. One of which I find myself pretty guilty of lately.

Our church teaches that children who are born with a disability are unique children of our Heavenly Father. They are valiant warriors and strong souls. They proved their loyalty and love for Heavenly Father‘s plan in the preexistence in a way which grants them esteemed status.

Their disability is a shield from the temptations and workings of Satan.

Heavenly Father loves them so much that they are protected in this life from making really dumb choices which may stop them from returning to Him.

He wants that for all of us, but those spirits have already proved that they deserve it.

Here’s what I have taken for granted...

I have this celestial being in my midst.

She is a real-life angel.

She is as close to Heaven on Earth as you can get.

Heavenly Father trusts HER to ME!

That just doesn’t seem possible!

I’m not really that good of a person.

I’m not quite sure He thought this one out very well.

But I guess He is Heavenly Father and he really doesn’t make mistakes, right?

So how do you handle THAT?

How do I become worthy to be her parent?

How do I believe that I am worthy?

How do I make sure I follow along in her footsteps?

This is a pretty big challenge He has for me.

I am entrusted to raise this celestial child in a way which He sees fit.

I’m sure He’s watching my every move.

No pressure... :)

2 comments:

  1. it is all planned out before she was put into your arms! you just need to live right by her and by the church and it will all be good! Even if you were to go wrong you would be set on the right path, because like you said she was entrusted to you! He knew you would always be worthy for your precious gift. don't stress your spirit about this and just enjoy your beautiful gift that was entrusted to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't His plan amazing? I remember feeling that way when we found out he had Ds. Why would Justin chose us to be his parents? What in the world could we teach him? Then I realized... along with Heavenly Father's help... he chose US to be his parents because he has a mighty thing or two to teach us. I am forever thankful for this! He is a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete