Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"All Done!"

Yesterday Leah said, “All Done!”

Seriously, she did!

If her physical therapist didn’t hear it too, I wouldn’t have believed it. I would have passed it off as some cute babbling.

But that’s not what it was.

What 10 month old says, “All done?”

What 10 month old with Down syndrome says, “All done?”

Mine Does! :)

I’m not bragging though; I’m just proud.

These are the type of accomplishments I really never would’ve thought twice about with Leah’s siblings. They just did them.

I have no idea when they rolled over, sat up, waved bye-bye, or said, “All done.”

Things are different with Leah. She is sort of under a microscope. Each and every milestone is a miracle, not just a milestone.

When she reaches them on time it’s as if the Heavens open up to show us what God is made of.

When she falls behind there are a million rationales and excuses why.

“Every baby is different.”

“Some kids do things in a different order.”

“Well, look at what she CAN do though.”

“She’s working so hard on mastering this; she’ll make it to that.”

Why can’t I ever use the reason, “She has Down syndrome so things will take longer?”

It’s like I still can’t admit it.

I can’t see it.

Or do I just not want to?

I feel like I have to prove to the world that MY baby is different.

She will not have any delay. She will develop normally. She won’t need special ed. She will live with her husband. She will have babies. She will be successful.

Probably not though…

Or maybe?

1 comment:

  1. I love baby Leah! And I love your insights about your wonderful daughter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete