Monday, May 3, 2010

Why does it matter anyway?

I wonder when it will begin?

That inevitable time when Leah will become delayed.

Or is it inevitable?

I feel like I am still in the “honeymoon” phase of this whole Down syndrome thing.

Leah is slightly delayed physically but not yet in any other category.

I am assured it will happen though.

So why do I have high hopes for her future when I have been told time and time again that Leah will need massive amounts of help just to live in her own apartment?

I feel naïve.

I am also told not to limit her potential.

How can I not limit her potential?

I have all of the “experts” around me reminding me that the delay will begin, it’s just a matter of time.

When will I get past this phase?

When will it not bother me that I have a child with Down syndrome who will need a lot of assistance?

Why does it still seem like it’s not true?

This is a crazy thing, this Down syndrome stuff…

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say how much I love you Jenn?? You are such a great mommy! And I believe Leah will have an amazing future-especially with you and Steve helping to teach and guide her. With all that love and support around her, she'll be able to do anything she wants!
    ~Jesika

    ReplyDelete