Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bad evaluation

Welp, IT happened!

Leah was evaluated for speech therapy yesterday and I was told that she is at a 3-6 month level.

I really wasn’t expecting that.


Honestly, I was trying to convince the therapist that she needed speech therapy even though she is where she is supposed to be.

I have been told by EVERYONE that Leah’s speech is incredible and that she is right on target, if not ahead of the game.

Oh well.

I am amazed by how little it has negatively affected me.

If anything, I am motivated by this news.

Motivated to follow the therapist’s recommendations.

Motivated to show the world Leah can succeed.

Motivated to help Leah learn.

Now I really can say I know how it feels to get back not-so-good results.

Now I feel a little more like I “fit in” with the other parents of kids with Down syndrome.

Now I know that those tests don’t matter too much.

I am still incredibly proud of my little peanut and we will do whatever we can to get her on track.

No excuses.

No reasoning’s.

No sadness.

Just motivation and encouragement as Leah does to me.

She makes me want to be better.

She makes me realize that what everyone else thinks means very little.

She helps me prioritize myself.

She helps me be a better me.

She is only 11 months old and she has taught me as much as, if not more than, any other person in my life.

Leah is a gift that I never knew I wanted and I am eternally grateful for her, bad evaluations and all.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear you are taking those evaluations with a grain of salt..though I know what you are talking about. Leah is a beautiful gift!

    Stephanie
    www.faithssecret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete