Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thank goodness for smore's!

Leah had her first ever camping trip this past weekend. It was filled with sun, play, water, fresh air, and really bad-for-her food!

She absolutely LOVED the pool, the marshmallows and smore’s, the turkey burgers with ketchup, playing in the grass, and of course swinging!

It’s times like this which help me truly appreciate how raising a child with Down syndrome is really not much different then raising a “typical” child.

I was able to accept comments about how stinkin’ cute she is, without wondering if they saw her disability.

I was able to enjoy having a baby, without thinking about my baby’s future.

Our getaway showed me that Leah’s disability really doesn’t define her and most surprisingly, Leah’s disability doesn’t define me as a mother.

I CAN forget about it.

I CAN enjoy her without worry.

I CAN be proud of her without wondering, “what if.”

I CAN just be her mom.

I needed this.

1 comment:

  1. Jen: You are amazing. I love your "voice" and your insight. Thanks for being my friend!

    ReplyDelete