Thursday, August 5, 2010

Changing

Leah is changing.

She is growing.

She has been sleeping more.

Yesterday, when I woke her from her nap, she looked different.

As if she literally grew over nap!

She probably did, anyway.

Yesterday after football and cheerleading practice, I noticed her Down syndrome traits like I never have before.

I could not, NOT see it.

It was strange, really.

UGH!!!

Why does it even matter?!?!

I want to be one of those mom’s who don’t care.

I don’t want to be sad.

I wish I didn’t look for it.

I wish my stupid brain would match my heart.

I love Leah with every fiber of who I am.

She has a place within my soul I never knew existed.

Why does my mind keep bringing me to a place where Down syndrome matters?

Why does it keep looking for the characteristics?

Why does it focus on the things which make me sad?

Oh well.



On a lighter note…

Now, Leah won’t stop saying, “HI!”

It is so stinkin’ cute!

She knows it makes us happy when she does it, so she says hi about 1000 times a minute!



She was fitted for her orthotics yesterday...

I hope she doesn’t hate them.

Now maybe I can buy shoes that are out of the infant sizes, though.

It’s funny, Leah has the smallest feet ever and we just bought Emmanuel size 11 men's football cleats!

He’s 10!



Leah’s physical therapist was also impressed with how well she is standing now...

After practice, she even tried walking from the coffee table to the couch!

She didn’t quite make it, but it was great attempt, that’s for sure.



We are also working on getting her to put things in...

She can take things out very well, but not-so-much put them back in.

Last night, she was a “putting-in” pro!

Leah absolutely LOVES praise and to be able to clap for herself, so whenever she masters a new skill, it’s a party in here.

I think that’s why she does it.

She’s a party girl, just like her mommy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Leah is doing amazing things! You should be so proud of her..I know you are.
    I didn't really notice Kennedy's "traits" until she started getting older..and then it was like huh? I don't have bad feelings often...not even after her diagnosis. It's not about the down syndrome....it's about how hard she has to work every single day. Kiss that baby girl...they grow fast but you already know that...hugs!

    ReplyDelete