Monday, August 16, 2010

Lessons

I’ve been having a hard time blogging lately.

I started blogging because I was counseled by my Bishop that I should.

And I have continued because it has been very therapeutic.

But, everyone knows about what Leah is doing before I “tell” them.

I feel like I am loosing my ability to share the intimacies of Leah’s accomplishments because everything I say is old news, even if I haven’t seen a person in months.

But it is therapeutic.

And my friends like to read it.

And I can brag. ;)

So, if you read this and I tell you the same things in person, just humor me…

K?

I’m starting to understand the “Person First” terminology better.

I’ve always thought of Leah as Leah first.

I never think Down syndrome first, even if that is what I mostly blog about.

Leah is Leah.

Smart.

Beautiful.

Stubborn (just like her daddy).

Silly.

Strong.

Spiritual (yes, 1 year olds CAN be spiritual, trust me).

With an extra 21st chromosome thrown in to make life interesting.

Now though, Leah is starting to look more like a kid with Down syndrome.

She didn’t before.

Maybe because she was so little, she just looked like a baby.

But really, it doesn't matter. Leah is still stunning.

Even when I can’t help but to see Down syndrome though, it is not the first thing I think of when I see Leah.

I still just see Leah.

It’s human nature to notice other people’s differences.

Differences make us unique.

But, I have always been a secret starrer.

If I saw someone with a disability, I would notice the disability first and stare at the person (when they weren’t looking, of course).

Leah is teaching me that there is so much more to a person, then the disability to stare at.

There is a man in our church who has severe Cerebral Palsy.

I have either stared or looked away when he was near, because I didn’t know how else to react to him.

Steven, on the other hand, sits with him, gives him sacrament, adjusts him, and talks and jokes with him.

He is truly Roy’s friend and has been since the day they met.

The way it should be.

Leah was sitting with daddy and Roy yesterday at church.

She was smiling and being silly with them both.

The happiness on Roy’s face was priceless.

In that moment, I was able to look differently at the world.

And look differently at myself.

I didn’t see a man with Cerebral Palsy being entertained by a baby with Down syndrome.

I saw my baby making a man smile.

It was a definite, “Ah Ha,” moment, that’s for sure.

I guess we all have our lessons we need to learn.

I just think it’s funny that my 13 month old (tear) is the one who is teaching me so many of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment