Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hmmm...

Leah is starting to walk around the table.

A little.

She says, “HI!”

She does it quite often when a new person walks into the room, so I even think she knows what hi means.

She can also say, “Hey!” “Dada,” “Up,” “Baba,” “Mama,”and some other babbles, with lots of new long- vowel sounds.

She signs, Dada, Milk, Up, Dog…

We are working on more.

Is there an end to this kid’s ability to amaze?

I saw a girl in the grocery store the other day who was about 12-13 and had Down syndrome.

I was very happy and sad to meet her.

I was happy because I am always happy to meet new friends who share Down syndrome.

I was a little sad because I don’t want my sweet Leah to be like her.

I can’t picture it.

I know this may make me sound bad, but it’s the truth.

Even though this little girl was super cute and happy, I don’t want Leah to be recognized immediately because of her Down syndrome characteristics.

I want her to be higher functioning then this girl seemed to be.

It was hard to see this girl and think that some day someone will feel as bad for Leah, as I did for her.

I keep hoping Leah progresses as she has been.

I hope Leah will be THE one who will change the view of Down syndrome.

Maybe she can be a teacher.

Maybe she can be a physical therapist.

Maybe she will be a mother.

Maybe she won’t have people feel sorry for her.

Sarah keeps saying, “I don’t think Leah is a Down syndrome baby.”

I tell her there were tests Leah had to make sure she had Down syndrome, but it’s ok because she is just a baby anyway. The test doesn’t really mean much.

Secretly, I wish Sarah was right.

I wish the doctors’ tests were wrong.

But I don’t want to change Leah.

Because she is one of the 5 most amazing kids in the world!

Why would I want to change this miracle baby?

So, why do I still wish I could change her diagnosis?

1 comment:

  1. awwww, i know exactly what you mean. i have been feeling those exact same things a lot lately. a lot. she is doing fantastic, though! congrats!

    ReplyDelete